|an update of sorts
||[Dec. 23rd, 2008|03:44 pm]
Everybody and their mother has done this quiz. I too am going to do it, for fear of being shunned from popular society for my lack of meme completing skills. If I'm going to be shunned from society for anything I'd rather like to be something massive, like genocide or a dreadful choice of hat. Of the two, I feel the dreadful choice of hat is more likely; although I'm being careful not to rule anything out.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Lots of things, one would imagine. From the mundane like running my own little comedy club to the terrific like learning how to knit. I may, at some point, combine the two and welcome the huddled masses into a woolen comedy club to see sock puppets performing satirical sketches about the Gold Standard. I of course will be unable to attend due to my fear of sock puppets. Please tell me how it goes.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I do not make New Year's Resolutions due to a severe lack of both imagination and willpower.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not that I'm aware of, which is a shame. I love babies.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not that I'm aware of, which is a shame. I love corpses.
5. What countries did you visit?
I've been to Wales, although being as I live there it doesn't really feel like the actions of a globetrotting socialite.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Emotional comfort. A roaring fire, the heat licking at my hands as I jab at it with a twig - it's a dangerous game, but I like to see the sparks fly up in the air with wild abandon.
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I can barely remember my day to day life, let alone the exact dates of the various things that have happened to me that would warrant inclusion in this survey. Either way, most of the important things happened in 2007. 2008 has been my year off, which really makes this somewhat redundant. Alas, I shall plow on.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I don't know, which is a shame. Maybe getting Headrush off the ground with the help of James. Or maybe being a multi-format quiz king.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Through gritted teeth I say "My personal life" before sipping at my wine.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I got mugged, and my Rhumatoid Arthritis had a dreadful flare up. But nothing life threatening.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A green velvet jacket for 5 pounds from a charity shop. No question.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
The people who were contiunally nice to me despite the fact that I am, in fact, me.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Would it wrist slasing inappropriate to go "my own"? If so, then no-one's really. I'm too confused by soft, delicate objects to be genuinely appalled and depressed by someone's actions.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Alcohol and cigarettes in a futile attempt at self-medication.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going on Eggheads. Ipswich. Growing a beard.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Much like James, I'm going to have to say Sexy On Fire. It's not a wonderful song, but it has wonderful memories.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? I'm not sure. Happier about some things, sadder about others.
ii. thinner or fatter? Thinner.
iii. richer or poorer? Poorer.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Something genuinely worthwhile.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Shoe gazing self-flagellation, thinking, spending.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I will be with my mother, my father, my sister, my other sister, my brother-in-law, my niece, my nephew, my brother-in-law's brother, and my brother-in-law's parents. It will be the first time we will have ever all been in the same room together, so I plan to get shitfaced on port and start a fight.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
22. How many one-night stands?
Six. A fact of which I'm not massively proud.
23. What was your favourite TV program?
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hating someone who deserves that kind of negative attention is more effort than they're worth.
25. What was the best book you read?
A lovely biography of Nelson.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Too many to mention, but things like Frightened Rabbit and Bon Iver et al are up there.
27. What did you want and get?
Nothing immediately springs to mind.
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
I've seen at least 3 films this year. Some of them were good. I'm going to go with Tron.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Twenty four, and I got carried home.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A genuine adventure. Finding a box that could take me back in time via an albino eskimo reaching his hand out and dragging me through a vortex. He'd take be back to 1783 and I would get mixed up in lots of raunchy romantic misunderstandings in wealthy Middle England whilst all the time trying to find my late Father's magic pocket watch, the only thing that could transport me back to the present, back to the subdued life I find so familiar. But what will I find first: the pocket watch, or love?
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Anna Friel. In character as Charlotte Charles. Somewhere in the Midlands right now Stingray has an erection due only to my writing of that.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
US Elections and Darfur.
35. Who did you miss?
I choose not to answer this question, but instead stand on a street corner with the word "turmoil" written on my forehead in green marker pen.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I have met too many nice people, and feel it unfair to single them out.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
Just shut the fuck up and get on with it.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"Na na na na na na na, na na na na na na." Pink, there.